Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Tropical Sno


When this little, bright yellow hut set up shop in the quick trip parking lot 4 blocks from my apartment, it took me back...

Back to Iowa summers. We had a tropical sno in the parking lot on 7th Ave in Marion, near Hyvee, in front of the Marion Chiropractic Clinic. It would be an almost daily ritual for me to ride bikes with friends out to the small white hut in the steamy black parking lot, and looking over the list of all the luscious flavor combinations. It was a rite of passage, in and out of summer to slurp down a huge cup full of brightly colored ice and get a terrible brain freeze.

We were just simple, happy kids. On carefree summer days.

Now, engaged and in Arkansas, I still see the snow cone huts as symbolic of happy and free summer days. Al is addicted to them - and lets me try his each time he gets a new flavor. It's a combination of nostalgia and sweetness. Perfect.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: