Sunday, December 7, 2008



Watch out readers - going on my soap box for this one.

I was walking through the NWA mall the other day, think of all the wonderful people I know. Nothing out of the ordinary there - I thank my lucky stars all the time because I have such wonderful friends in so many different places. I do this the most however, at Christmas.

The mall was decorated with evergreens, trumpets and shiny ornaments. A beautiful and fun sight to see. And while I love the holiday decorations, I am one who doesn't like to dwell long in a mall. I like to get in, get done, and get out.

So on my way of getting in, I passed by a Victoria Secret store. I remember when I was a kid and I'd be shopping with my dad, he'd always say "what's her secret?" That jokes still funny to me - even today :) In the front window of the store, where it seems to to be oozing pink at the seams, there was a large picture of a very skinny, angry looking woman in a big, long, billowy pink skirt and matching bra.

Getting past the several young and naive high school boys who were ogling the picture of the woman, I kept walking. The picture stayed with me -it made me think of the many women in my life, whose beauty far surpass that of what the model is trying to represent. The women I know, are real, good and genuine. Not smoldering tigresses. Mothers, daughters, grandmothers, aunts, sisters. All with important roles in life, all working hard. Their love and efforts shine out brightly, as do their lovely faces.

I had to walk back the same way to get to my car, and was amused to find that another group of boys had replaced the ones that had been there before. My final thought as I exited the mall was a wish that those kids - and everyone else will sometime find out what true beauty is. I know I have.

Thanks for that, friends ;) xoxox

No comments: