Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I am slowly starting to learn the balance of life and work - at the ripe old age of 25.

I graduated at the top of my class in high school and the top 100 in college. I wasn't innately smart - I just studied a lot and kept on top of things.

I often view my jobs now as a class. Maybe a class in life - but one where I need to maintain good grades and stay ahead. My boss's (teacher's) approval means a lot to me. And if I work hard enough maybe I'll get a promotion (A+).

Okay, so maybe the metaphor is a little far fetched. But as in school, with work, I sometimes cut short my real life activities so to give projects or emails more of my time. Is that right to do? Is it right to give a minute more out of my 40 hour work week to a job that I don't consider my "career"?

Eh, maybe. Or maybe I just need a balance. I will ALWAYS be a perfectionist and ALWAYS be hard on myself. But if I don't take some time from this life to enjoy myself, I will wind up 80 years old and still working.

Remember to smell the roses, people ;) xoxox

No comments: